Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Alexander the Great

Hi, I am Katie and today I will be interviewing my good friend Alexander the Great.

Katie: So Alexander, is it true you were only 20 years old when you became king?
Alexander: Yes, my father Philip II was assassinated at his daugther's wedding, so I then became king.
Katie: What was your first accomplishment as king?
Alexander: My first accomplishment as king was when I conquer Persia. At the time, Persia was no longer the great power it had once been. The emperor Darius III was weak, and the provinces were often in rebellion against him. Still, the Persian empire stretched more than 2,000 miles from Egypt to India.
Katie: So, what happened next?
Alexander: We then won are first victory against the Persians at the Granicus River.
Katie: Did everything go well after this victory?
Alexander: Yes, actually we moved from victory to victory, marching through Asia Minor into Palestine and south to Egypt before turning east again to take Babylon in 331 B.C. But, before I could capture Darius, the Persian emperor was murdered.
Katie: So, with much of the Persian empire under your control, did things get easier?
Alexander: Yes, I guess you could say that. But, fighting for your country, your people, and your own life, never gets easy. In 326 B.C., my troops and I for the first time faced soldiers mounted on war elephants.
Katie: Wow war elephants! That sounds diffitcult! How did you handle that?
Alexander: Well, my soldiers were tired of the long campaign and refused to go farther east. So I agreed to turn back. So, after a long and diffitcult march, we reached Babylon, where I began planning a new campaign.
Katie: That must of been terrible to have to turn around and march all the way back home. What happened once you returned home?
Alexander: Well, before I could even set out again, I suddenly developed a fever and later passed away. And following my death, my empire crumbled and will never be the same as it once was  before.

No comments:

Post a Comment