Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Golden Age of Greece

Hello, I am Katie and today I today I will be interviewing Plato.

Katie: Ok Plato, lets start from the beginning. How do you feel about democracy?
Plato: After the execution of Socrates, I have had a lifelong distrust with democracy.
Katie: So how what was the result of this distrust?
Plato: Well, I actually fled Athens for 10 years.
Katie: Wow! Ten years that's crazy! What did you do when you returned?
Plato: I set up a school called the Academy. There, I taught and wrote about my own ideas.
Katie: I also heard that you wrote a book. Is this true?
Plato: Yes, I wrote a book called the Republic which describes my vision of and ideal state.
Katie: That's very interesting. What do you think your biggest accomplishment is?
Plato: Well, I rejected the Athenian democracy and instead I argued that the state should regulate every aspect of its citizens' lives in order to provide their best interests.Then I divided the society into three classes: workers to produce the necessities of life, soldiers to defend the state, and philosophers to rule. This elite class of leaders would be specially trained to ensure order and justice. The wisest of them, a philosopher-king, would have the ultimate authority.
Katie: Wow! That's incredible! Well, Plato thank you for allowing me to interview you.
Plato: Thank you for having me.

No comments:

Post a Comment