Sunday, November 14, 2010

Columbus Leaves Spain

Hello, I'm Katie and today I will be interviewing Christopher Columbus.

Katie: Why did you decided to take a journey and leave Spain?
Christopher: Well, once i heard about Portugal's success, I decided that I wanted to find another sea route to Asia.
Katie: What was your goal for this expedition?
Christopher: I wanted to reach the East Indies by sailing west across the Atlantic.
Katie: Unlike many Europeans, you knew that Earth was in fact a sphere. So how did you figure out how to map out your journey?
Christopher: Well, I would bring the ship to eastern Asia. My plan did make sense, but I underestimated Earth's size.
Katie: Well, what happened from there.
Christopher: Portugal refused to sponsor me, but I persuaded Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain to finance my voyage. So, to increase their authority, the Spanish rulers had taken radical measures, including expelling Jews from Spain. They hoped their actions would strengthen Catholicsim. But, the loss of some of Spain's most affluent and cultured people weakened the nation. The rulers hoped that my voyage would bring wealth and prestige back to Spain.
Katie: What day did you set sail for your voyage?
Christopher: On August 3, 1492, Columbus sailed west with three small ships, the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria. And on October 12, we spotted land. But, since I thought we reached the Indies, we returned home to Spain where you got a hero's welcome. And in three later voyages, I remained convinced that I reached the coast of East Asia. Not long after this, Europeans realized that I had found a route to previously unknown continents.

No comments:

Post a Comment