Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Julius Caesar and the Fall of the Roman Republic

 Hi, I'm Katie and today I will be interviewing Julius Caesar, a previous dictator of Rome.

Katie: So, in 58 B.C. you and your army set out to make new conquests. What happened from there?
Julius: Well, after nine years of fighting, I completed the conquest of Gaul. But, Pompey was fearful of my rising fame, so he persuaded teh senate to order me to disband my army and return to Rome.
Katie: How did you react to this order?
Julius: Well of course I defied the order. So, very secretly, I led my army across the Rubicon River into northen Italy and headed toward Rome. Once again, civil war began across the Roman world.
Katie: What happened during 44 and 48 B.C.
Julius: Well Katie, I pushed through a number of reforms intended to deal with Rome's many problems. I launched a program of public works to employ the jobless and gave public land to the poor. I also reorganized the government of the provinces and granted Roman citizienship to more people.
Katie: What do you think is your biggest accomplishment?
Julius: My biggest accomplishment would have to be the introduction of a new calendar based on the Egyptians. This calendar was used in Europe for more than 1,600 years.
Katie: Wow, that is a big accomplishment. I heard there was a big worry around this time too. What was going on?
Julius: Well, some of my enemies were worried that I planned to make myself king of Rome. So, in March of 44 B.C., as I arrived in the senate, my enemies stabbed me to death. After my death, Rome plunged into a new round of civil wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment