Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Constantine the Great

 Hello, I'm Katie and today I will be interview Constantine the Great.
Katie: So in 312, you gained the throne. As emperor what did you do?
Constantine: Well, I continued Diocletian's reforms. And in addition, I took two steps that changed the course of European history.
Katie: How did you change European history.
Constantine: First, I granted toleration to Christians. Second, I established a new capital at the centuries-old city of Byzantium, which I renamed Constantinople. With this "New Rome", Constantine made the eastern empire the center of power.
Katie: The reforms of Diocletian and Constantine had mixed results. What is your opinon on the results?
Constantine: Well, they revived teh economy, and by increasing the power of government, they helped hold the empire together for another century. Still, these reforms failed to stop the long-term decline. In the end, internal problems combined with attacks from outside to bring the empire down.

No comments:

Post a Comment